For World Hand Hygiene Day 2021, World Health Organisation calls on health care workers and facilities to achieve effective hand hygiene action at the point of care. The point of care refers to the place where three elements come together: the patient, the health care worker, and care or treatment involving contact with the patient or their surroundings.
Global Handwashing Day Theme for 2021 is “Seconds save lives – clean your hands!”
The Global Handwashing Partnership founded global Handwashing Day to design and implement creative ways to encourage people to wash their hands with soap, especially during critical times.
The first Global Handwashing Day was held in 2008. Since then, the community and national leaders and influencers have used this national holiday to spread awareness about the value of clean hands. It is a valuable message, hand washing is such a simple practice, but it really can make all the difference and save lives.
Global Handwashing Day continues to grow. It’s endorsed by schools, governments, international institutions, private companies, civil society organizations, and more.
What are the three aims of Global Handwashing Day?
- To create a culture of handwashing with soap in all societies.
- To create awareness of the state of handwashing in each country.
- To inform people about the benefits of handwashing with soap.
How can I do my part?
- Make handwashing a habit!
- Implement it as a family before meals.
- Promote handwashing in homes, schools, workplaces, health facilities and more.